There have been many trends in home building lately, but one is starting to stand out more than the rest. As most know, building materials are probably the most crucial part of constructing any new building, and the trend lately has been using metal materials to build. Besides being a sturdy structure, building with metal has many more qualities. But it can also have some drawbacks too. If you're on the fence about how to build your next project, check out these pros and cons of building a metal building.
- The endurance of a metal building is by far the best quality it has. Especially in Florida where severe weather takes places every summer. Metal buildings are made to survive in any weather, hurricane or snow.
- Maintenance costs are low and easy to keep up with.
- Spend less time building and more time living! A metal home can be constructed in as little as three weeks. Frames are pre-made, so they're a breeze to put together and complete a finished home.
- Nice to the environment. The materials used for the metal houses can be easily made from recyclable material, including but not limited to one of the best insulation systems a home can offer.
- Much more open floor plans. In metal buildings, there are no walls beside the exterior which allows for more ideas in creating rooms and areas within the building. This works excellent for buildings used as offices is something business related, not just for leisure.
- Although the open floor plan gives plenty of room to create in, metal buildings are not the best option if you’re looking to build more stories onto the building. They stick more toward warehouse/barn style if you want a taller option, and can personalize to your liking in the interior.
- Unfortunately there is no customizing your framework for a metal building. The steel frames are already made and can’t be constructed into new forms.
- Metal buildings can withstand harsh weather, but there is a lingering threat of metal corrosion if exposed to more tropical climates. Though with the proper maintenance, this issue can be avoided and treated correctly.
- The price tag on a metal building is a little steep, but compared to the lifeline of the steel materials versus a typical building material like wood, it is well worth the cost.
Metal buildings are a trend that will stay with the times. If you’re tired of traditional homes and buildings, and the pros outweigh the cons for a specific situation, then give metal buildings a try!